The criticism and mocking of this magnificent structure as a failure is a completely incorrect assessment. Rather, this building will prove to be the benchmark of European architecture over the course of time and will be analogous to the Sydney Opera House!
Public perception in Hamburg has not yet begun to conceive of the potential of this building. Take, for example, the wonderful play of colors of the facade. Invest € 1.50, take a boat trip on the route of Elbphilharmonie / Arningstraße / Landungsbrücken (as these are the only route stops, you can stay in the boat), and enjoy the view! The ride is especially worthwhile in the afternoon when the sun is low, before or after a heavy rain (a frequent occurrence in Hamburg), providing you with a unique photo opportunity!
We were able to contribute to a good part of the success of this building, and to all companies involved in the construction (Gartner, Wittenauer, Peuckert, Lenz and Mundt, Teupe, Nietiedt, etc.) and especially HOCHTIEF and the architects Herzog & de Meuron we pay tribute and the greatest respect.
spannverbund supplied and assembled the steel construction (including technical processing) for the following components:
- Building roof (spatially curved steel structure with a floor area of 5,600 m2), incl. trapezoidal sheet material (angle of inclination up to 55 °)
- Hall roof trusses (spatial truss with a span of 55 x 50 m and a height of 2 to 20 m)
- Inner shell (a spatial composite floor slab, including 2,280m2 trapezoidal metal sheet, attached by springs to the hall roof truss)
- Mechanical levels between building roof and hall roof
- Maintenance paths in the space between the inner shell and hall roof
- In the Grand Concert Hall, a 18 to 38 m high steel structure incl. dismantling, as an assembly platform for the construction of the hall roof
- Formwork elements for the production of Y-shaped branches of high-strength concrete columns
In the previous list of about 2,000 t steel components, there are no two parts alike; each item is unique.
- Facade edge girders and edge trusses
- Steel structure of the reflector in the large concert hall
- Slender, sloping composite columns at the building edge (two to three successive columns meet at the base support)
- Heavily loaded composite columns (Nd = 26,400 kN) inside the building
- Heavy concrete-steel connection elements with a load capacity of up to 23,000 kN for load introduction into concrete columns
- Temporary elevated mounting platforms due to irregularly-surfaced floor plates
- Various concrete-steel connection elements for stairs, etc.